DIY stands for do-it-yourself, all meals are artisan prepared and quick frozen to keep all the goodness and quality our guests have come to expect from Teniqua Treetops. Pre ordering is preferred as this allows the meals to defrost slowly. We do understand that sometimes pre-ordering is not possible and defrost recommendations are available on the menu.
These meals can be cooked on the gas top, or weber. Some of our meal options only require reheating and this can be done in the microwave.
A weber is sometimes referred to as a coal barbeque, and only coal can be used, no wood is permitted. In South Africa we call it a braai. The word ‘braai’ is Afrikaans, originating from the Dutch word ‘braden’ which means ‘to roast’.
Building a braai is not as complicated as you would think, charcoal and firelighters can be purchased at reception.
Instructions are as follows;
- Gooi (throw) the charcoal into the Weber.
- Use half the firelighters and spread evenly over the coals.
- Light the firelighters (matches are also available at reception)
- Pack a few charcoal pieces around the lit firelighters.
- Wait for all coals to be grey in color and you are ready to Braai!